Under the supervision and guidance of the Program Director, Camp Director and/or Branch Director of Operations the driver is responsible for the safety of all passengers and the vehicle at all times. The School Bus Driver must display personal characteristics that exemplify the four core values of the YMCA; caring, honesty, respect, and responsibility.
- Ensure the safety of all passengers in bus.
- Arrive on time (approximately 5 minutes prior to pick-up) at scheduled centers.
- Confirm delayed openings and school closings with YMCA personnel (or as indicated on local radio station).
- Bus is to be used only for transportation of YMCA participants unless authorized by supervisor.
- Any ticket, moving violation, or incident(s) that affects your driving status, must be reported to the Human Resource Director and Executive Director immediately.
- Be a positive, desirable role model for children and parents.
- Knowledge of emergency procedures and the ability to implement them if need be.
- Must report all accidents/incidents to immediate supervisor as soon as possible, as well as complete the accident/incident report and submit it.
- Ensure that all passengers and driver are wearing seatbelts at all times.
- Maintain and submit Vehicle Destination Logs, Gas Logs, and Mileage Logs according to YMCA procedures.
- Perform a pre-trip inspection checking bus for safety hazards, etc,. before using a bus.
- Ensure your bus has gas and the inside is kept orderly (return all lost and found to appropriate department at end of run).
- Smoking, eating, and drinking while driving the bus is prohibited.
- Drive with extreme courtesy.The bus represents the Metuchen-Edison YMCA
- Prepare and submit Vehicle Maintenance Request forms immediately upon detection of bus defect or possible defect, address any major cleaning issues.
- Assist children getting on and off bus.
- Drivers must walk to the back of the bus and back to the front at the end of the bus run to ensure all children have safely gotten off of the bus.
- Driver must have in their possession operational cell phone (provided by YMCA) and have it turned on. Always pull off the road to operate phone.
- Attend mandatory staff meetings and YMCA training sessions.
- Adhere to “House Rules” and exemplify the four core character values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility.
- Accurately complete time sheets on a daily basis, signing at the end of the week..
- Communicate with supervisor any issues, concerns surrounding the transportation of passengers and or the bus.
CDL S&P Endorsement,
Able to meet the Redwoods Vehicle Driver Requirements
Able to communicate effectively
Must be a minimum of age 21