Pre-School Assistant Teacher
The Assistant Teacher will work with a small group of children under the coaching and supervision of a professional staff to ensure the care, safety and well being of the children assigned to her/his group. S/he will use the philosophy of the YMCA mission and the four core values (caring, honesty, respect and responsibility) to deliver and implement a program of the highest quality where every child has the opportunity to reach their fullest potential.
- Assist in supervising the group of children to which she/he is assigned (during classroom experience, during outdoor playground activities and while off the Center grounds).
- Become involved with the children in group play and outside activities.
- Assist with the nap period duties including, but not limited to; setting out and replacing cots/mats/cribs; settling the children, i.e., rubbing backs, reading stories.
- Understand & assist the teacher in implementing the curriculum and it’s assessment system.
- Have an ability to identify child abuse and have a clear understanding of reporting requirements and responsibilities.
- Be responsible for going into the pool to assist swim instructors and maintain staff:child ratio during swim lessons/activities.
- Utilize any specific abilities or talents that can enrich the children’s day care experience.
- Assist with food service (snack, lunch, special treats) and clean up the eating area.
- Support the Y’s HEPA standards by role modeling through participation in activities, snacks, & meals as well as avoiding consumption of foods & beverages during program hours that are inconsistent with HEPA standards.
- Be responsible for keeping equipment and materials clean, accessible and in good condition.
- Assist the teacher in keeping the classroom organized and neat.
- Administer first aid and supervise children’s personal hygiene.
- Assist in administration of medication under the direction of the classroom teacher.
- Assume the responsibilities of the classroom teacher during her absence, with the direction and support of the director.
- Assist in the preparation of materials for daily activities.
- Be responsible for daily paperwork (i.e. accident reports, unusual incident reports) needed to maintain state code.
- Assist in all bathroom procedures, diapering, potty training, hand washing, etc.
- Attend all staff meetings when necessary and contribute to the meetings.
- Support the center/association by participating in community events as requested by the Supervisor.
- Be required to maintain a current CPR & First Aid Certification as well as attend workshops presented during “Center Shut Down”.
- Encouraged to attend other forms of professional training during the year.
- Be responsible for understanding and emulating the four core values.
- Be responsible for accurately recording time worked using the time management system provided on a daily basis.
- High school diploma or its equivalent.
- Previous child care experience or related experience.
- Some credits or classes in education or early childhood education a plus.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- CPR and Standard First Aid preferred – will train