Under the supervision and guidance of the Camp Director and/or Unit Leader, the Summer Camp Counselor is responsible for the guidance and safety of all the children in the summer camp program. The Summer Camp Counselor will implement programs, behaviors and activities that embrace the four core values of honesty, respect, caring and responsibility.
HOURS: M-F AM and PM shifts available
RATE: starting at $14.13 DOE
1. Ensure all health and safety guidelines are strictly adhered to.
2. Set an example in conduct and personal habits.
3. Assist with daily arrivals, dismissals and announcements.
4. Responsible for all equipment and supplies of the program, especially those in your use.
5. Knowledge of emergency procedures. Report all accidents/incidents to Director as soon as possible. Accurately complete and submit an accident form immediately.
6. Supervise children during activities, trips, and lunch, when in pool area and/or locker room.
7. Have complete knowledge of where all children in group are at all times.
8. Submit a daily activity plan and adhere to it.
9. Report difficult or unusual situations to your supervisor as soon as possible. If those concerns impact safety or the well-being of a camper, fellow staff member, or yourself they must be reported immediately.
10. Implement activities for group including setting up, acquiring materials and clean up.
11. Accurately record daily attendance.
12. Participate with enthusiasm and motivate all children in group.
13. Discipline children in an appropriate manner when necessary following the Positive Discipline Guidelines.
14. Meet, greet, discuss and promote program content and children using parents in a manner that reflects a “Family Friendly” YMCA.
15. Adhere to YMCA “House Rules”.
16. Attend all department and/or YMCA staff meetings and trainings.
17. Be aware of your daily trip and have appropriate dress (i.e. trip t-shirt, swim suit and towel, etc.) *all staff are required to swim during swim trips.
18. Facilitate buddy checks.
19. All tasks will be carried out in a safe manner for employee/staff.
· Must have excellent decision making skills, the ability to be a strong role model and an excellent communicator.
· Must have a positive attitude, enthusiasm and be able to work as part of a team.
· Must be at least 18 years of age.
· Previous experience working with children in a day or resident camp setting, childcare or related setting.
· Be able to demonstrate skills in motivating, games, athletics, crafts, songs, storytelling.
· Must have current CPR and First Aid certifications.
PHYSICAL REQURIEMENTS/WORKING CONDITIONS:
Normal amounts of walking, standing, sitting, running, jumping, lifting, pushing, pulling, entering and exiting swim pools, ability to tolerate summer weather and outdoor conditions, ability to travel via bus to and from YMCA designated trip locations.