While wearing of face masks is not mandatory for our members or our staff, we strongly encourage everyone to wear them when in our facilities.
•Fully vaccinated is defined as:
-2 weeks after the second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines
-2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson's Janssen vaccine
•We are now at 100% capacity with no restrictions.
•All branches and pools are operating on adjusted operating schedules.
•Member reciprocity between YMCA branches outside of the MEWSA organization will remain suspended (members may still visit their choice of branch including Metuchen, Edison and South Amboy). There will be no member reciprocity at the YMCA at the Piscataway Community Center as well until further notice.
•Guest Passes will remain suspended at this time.
To our YMCA community:
Yesterday Governor Murphy announced major changes to mask and social distancing rules that will impact our facilities beginning on Friday, May 28.
His announcement lifting the NJ statewide indoor mask mandate and 6-foot social distancing rule in public spaces and settings, including gyms, follows the CDC's recent guidance recommending that individuals fully vaccinated against COVID-19 no longer need to wear a mask or social distance in any setting.
In accordance with the State's announcement and CDC guidelines, our Y association will no longer require masks for fully vaccinated members and guests starting on Friday, May 28. Children ages 2-11 will still be required to wear a mask when visiting the Y.
These changes do not apply to child care centers, after-school programs, and summer camps.
Fully vaccinated is defined as:
● 2 weeks after the second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or
● 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen vaccine
We will not require proof of vaccination status. As the Y evolves its practices in compliance with the CDC and NJ Department of Health, we encourage you to practice health and safety measures that make you most comfortable.
If you are unvaccinated, we ask that you please continue to wear a mask while inside the YMCA to protect those who remain at risk.
If you are immunocompromised, it is recommended that you continue wearing a mask in all public settings, including the YMCA.
No matter your vaccination status, please refrain from coming to the Y when not feeling well.
Mask wearing is permissible in the YMCA by any member at any time.
Unvaccinated Staff will still be required to wear masks for the time being and all staff will continue to undergo health and temperature checks prior to each shift.
We ask that all members demonstrate the YMCA values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility toward each other and our dedicated staff team.
The YMCA will continue to:
- Apply our enhanced cleaning practices
- Require reservations for group exercise classes and some lap swim times
- Require quarantine for staff members who test positive for COVID-19
Our licensed child care programs and summer camps will continue to follow CDC, State and local Health Department recommendations in addition to requirements from host school districts, including social distancing and mask requirements.
Your safety remains our top priority and we value your support as we work to provide a safe environment for all. Throughout this pandemic, we have been following both the State and CDC guidance, as well as that of local health authorities, in crafting our policies. We will continue to communicate any changes to our health and safety policies as they occur.
| Expand all
Saturday & Sunday:
Saturday & Sunday
Saturday and Sunday, 7am-4pm
Your safety is our top priority. During these uncertain times, our staff team has been working diligently to prepare for your safe return to our Y facilities. We have missed you!
To ensure the safety and reduce the health risks for our staff and members as we re-open our YMCA facilities, the YMCA of MEWSA has implemented safety protocols based on CDC, state and local government, and YMCA recommended guidelines.
PLEASE NOTE: The YMCA is following CDC recommended social distancing guidelines; therefore, we will have reduced capacity within each area of the center. At times of full capacity, you may be asked to wait or return at a later time.
**Safety protocols subject to change per local authority guidelines. Please check with your local YMCA for up-to-date protocols.
| Expand all
- Members and staff are required to have their temperatures taken upon entry to any YMCA facility. Anyone with a temperature 100.4 degrees or higher will not be allowed to enter our buildings. Member temperatures are confidential and will not be kept on file by the YMCA.
Members will be asked to self-scan their Membership Card to allow for contactless entry.
- Plexiglas installed at YMCA membership desks.
- Lobby area furniture limited and distanced.
- Time in waiting areas minimized and member gatherings/congregation restricted.
- Signs and floor markers placed throughout our centers regarding physical distancing and access to various spaces within the Y.
- In-person transactional business will be limited. Transfer of credit card, membership card, cash transactions, etc. can be done via telephone call.
- Deep cleaning throughout the day.
- Member and staff practice elevated cleaning protocols.
- Cleaning stations installed for staff and member use, including signage with expectations.
- Locker Rooms and showers are currently open to our members.
- Saunas and steam rooms closed.
- Fitness equipment will be spaced to the extent possible.
- Fitness Floor has a 90 minute max for both the cardio & weight center. No reservations are currently required.
Currently no reservations are required for Group Exercise classes. Members attending the class(es) should arrive 15 mins before the start of class to get a number and sign in for the specific class. All classes are being held in the gymnasium.
- Swim Appointments are available by booking a reservation for 45 mins on our website or by calling the branch.
- Ratio of staff to children is smaller – based on age and COVID-19 guidelines.
- Infant/child care will be offered at a later date.
- Child Watch Room is closed.
- Eliminate non-essential physical contact and shared touched surfaces.
- Increase the use of verbal cueing or demonstrating over physical touch cues.
- Ask clients to set their own treadmill speeds and weights, and to retrieve and put away their own equipment.
- Encourage clients to bring their own towel.
- Wipe down all touched surfaces before and after use.
- 2021 Summer Camp begins on June 21, 2021.
- Limited enrollment/spots available. Staff to camper ratios required, based on licensing guidelines.
- You can register your child for YMCA Summer Camp by visiting www.ymcaofmewsa.org/camp.
We are offering group exercise classes to all of our active, full-facility members, including Zumba, Yoga, Pilates, BollyX and more. To see a complete schedule of our Group Exercise classes click here. We have also started offering select indoor fitness classes. Please check your local branch schedule for outdoor fitness classes as they become available.
In addition, all virtual group exercise classes are now open to our active, full-facility members only. Members can sign up here. Please note that members will need their barcode number located on the back of their membership swipe card to enter the virtual fitness portal. Before each virtual class, registrants will be emailed the link to join. We plan to keep offering these classes as we transition to more in-person offerings.
Outdoor group exercise classes will be available by registration only. Members must register for each individual class they would like to take.
Please only sign up for classes if you plan on attending to be respectful of others wishing to participate.
While we no longer require face masks and social distancing, we ask our members to help us provide the safest environment possible. Here are a few helpful things to keep in mind when visiting our facilities:
WE WILL NOT ASK FOR PROOF OF VACCINATION STATUS.
However, as ask that you refrain from visiting our facilities if you are not feeling well. If you are unvaccinated or mid-vaccine, we ask that you please continue to wear your face mask while inside our facilities to protect those that remain at risk.
NO SOCIAL DISTANCING IS REQUIRED IN THE BRANCHES
This does not apply to our licensed Child Care Centers, After School Programs and Summer Camps, which are subject to additional State and local guidelines.
WE WILL CONTINUE TO TAKE TEMPERATURE CHECKS UPON ENTRY
CHILDREN BETWEEN THE AGES OF 2-11 will still be encouraged to wear a face mask while at the Y.
IF YOU ARE IMMUNOCOMPROMISED, it is recommended that you continue wearing a face mask in all public settings, including the YMCA.
IF YOU PREFER TO CONTINUE TO WEAR YOUR FACE MASK AS AN EXTRA PRECAUTION, we will always respect your personal choice.
The YMCA of Metuchen, Edison, Woodbridge and South Amboy is committed to providing financial assistance for membership and programs. We believe that everyone deserves the right to be healthy and enjoy the benefits of Y membership and programs. The financial assistance we provide is supported by our Annual Support Campaign.
We’re a powerful association of men, women and children joined together by a shared commitment to nurture the potential of kids, promote healthy living and foster a sense of social responsibility. We believe that lasting personal and social change can only come about when we all work together to invest in our kids, our health and our neighbors. That’s why, at the Y, strengthening community is our cause.
No one is turned away because of an inability to pay
Everyone is welcomed at the YMCA and through our Financial Assistance Fund, we extend this opportunity for membership and/or program assistance to anyone who may need it.
Financial Assistance is available to members who need help paying for the full cost of our childcare, before/after school care, summer camp and programs.
We want everyone in the community to benefit from our programs and services, regardless of financial circumstance. For support with membership fees, we offer our Membership Assistance Application.
Financial assistance is available based on family income, number of household members and the availability of Y funds. It’s provided fairly and openly on a first come, first served basis.